We're a truly international company, fourth largest in our industry and operating across 120 markets. An inclusive, innovative global FMCG business supported by over 27,500 employees. As we embrace a new era of growth, we are transforming. Our ways of working and culture are driven by a challenger mindset, constantly questioning the status quo. Our agility and entrepreneurial spirit, alongside award winning development programmes, enable innovation and success while creating exciting and rewarding career choices. As we move forward, our customers will be at the heart of what we do, evolving to needs and expectations and committing to a more meaningful contribution to harm reduction by building a successful NGP business. Integral to our long-term success is our sustainability strategy, behaving responsibly and supporting our ambitions, all underpinned by high governance. Encouraging inclusion at local levels and supporting a developing and robust diversity agenda globally, we’re fully committed to creating and maintaining an environment that celebrates and respects difference.
Working within the Device Engineering Team and reporting to the Software/Firmware Manager. This role will be a technical expert in software/firmware engineering on New Product Development projects within the R&D pillar of the Innovation function. The role plays a key part in device development for all new product development projects.
• Working within a team of Electronic / Software / Firmware engineers to develop and deliver prototypes and technical solutions for innovation projects including:
• Specifying and implementing firmware written in C across a range of microcontrollers e.g. STM32, NXP LPC55xxx, Nouvoton 8051, and to deliver against design brief and functional performance.
• Developing test / configuration / programming solutions which may include a Windows GUI (e.g. Python / Visual C# etc)
• Developing innovative firmware concepts to solve engineering challenges as required by the wider business.
• Prototype design, iterative development, and testing activities to validate these concepts leveraging the capabilities of the team (electronic and mechanical design engineers, and technicians)
• Working closely with multifunctional counterparts (Marketing/Category, MSC, Quality and Regulatory) to deliver fit for purpose propositions, and ensure technical requirements are clearly understood
• Help investigate / introduce new firmware development methodologies / tools as and when required.
• Undertake firmware/software development activities on projects to a design brief and functional performance
• Collaborate with the Electronics / Software / Firmware team to provide innovative concepts to solve engineering challenges
• Create firmware solutions to validate concepts (e.g., novel heater technology, user interfaces, wireless communications)
• Provide technical expertise on firmware/software development to support projects in the Innovation portfolio
• Discovery, CTI, Design and Formulations Teams
• GSC Realisation
• GSC, Quality and Regulatory teams
• Packaging Development Teams
• Project Teams as required
• Key suppliers/partners (prototype and production)
• Consultants, agencies, etc
Key Education & Key Skills
• BEng/MEng in Electronic Engineering, computer science, or equivalent
• Very good English language skills
• Multiple full product developments completed (full lifecycle).
• Substantial experience in product development.
• Self-motivated software/firmware developer able to collaborate with other team members including electronic and mechanical design engineers.
• Excellent knowledge/experience of high-quality firmware development across a range of microcontrollers and being able to provide supporting documentation.
• Bare metal / RTOS firmware development in C using IDE development tools e.g., Keil, GNU based IDEs (STM32CubeIDE, MCUXpresso or similar)
• Proficient working with electronic schematics.
• Excellent understanding of hardware systems, I2C, SPI protocols, or other communication protocols
• Competent in using debuggers, logic analysers, oscilloscopes, DVMs
• Excellent at concept generation – finding innovative firmware solutions to engineering problems
• Source code version control (e.g., git, svn).
• Experience in firmware development of electronic consumer products or medical devices
• Experience with Electronic Vaping Products and/or Heated Tobacco products
• Experience working with USB, Bluetooth
• Experience in developing Bluetooth Phone Apps or having an interest to learn how to develop them.
What We Offer
Competitive salary, bonus scheme, pension, and 25 days holiday (with an additional 4 days on top to cover the Christmas period, and bank holidays), flexible working policy, corporate discounts, Health Cash Plan, and other wellbeing initiatives.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply, highlighting their suitability for the above role.
The year Imperial was founded through the
coming together of 13 UK family-run
Imperial employees worldwide
Number of markets worldwide in which our products are sold